Earlier, mosquitoes were slotted in the category of being a pest, a nuisance that one could get rid of using mosquito repellent. Today, however they are seen as carriers of death! The increase in awareness about mosquitoes borne diseases has made us more vigilant, but sadly we don’t realize the importance of products such as repellents till diseases strike close at home.
As any normal family, we used mosquito repellent machines at night in our bedrooms and assumed we were sufficiently protected against mosquito menace. However, it came as a rude shock when my in-laws were detected with Chikungunya. The whole episode left me scared and worried about protecting my family against diseases such as Dengue, Chikungunya and Malaria.
Mosquito Repellent is a necessity today
The information about dengue mosquitoes being active in the daytime scared me even more. I realized just protecting my family at night is not enough! My in-laws go for walks in the morning and in the evenings. Children enjoy being outdoors and my husband travels for work. Everyone had different needs and I wanted a simple solution that provided all round protection. That’s when I came across the happiness protectors of my family – Good knight! They have a range of products that are suitable for various needs of my family.
Solutions to protect your family
Following the ever increasing cases of Dengue and Chikungunya in Pune, I did a lot of reading to come up with solutions that will help my family lead a normal life, while being protected from mosquito borne diseases. Here are a few tips that we use in our family.
- I use mosquito repellant bands and patches when my children go out to school, play areas and their classes. My children loved the patches as they were fun, did not have any repulsive odor nor were obstructive. I was happy that my children could play freely and I could send them without worry.
- During travels we use fabric roll on to ensure better protection. Travelling in public transport would mean no control on the surroundings or the places where the vehicle stops. The fabric roll on protects us while being travel friendly
- When we host garden parties or have private get-together we use coils. I am not a big fan of Mosquito coils as have a toddler at home, but they are extremely useful when there is a power outage. I only choose low –smoke coils when needed.
Tips to get rid of mosquitoes
- Keep your surroundings clean. Clean water too can be a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Make sure that there is no stagnant water around you.
- If you have water bodies near you, make sure that the water is changed regularly. Aedes aegypti mosquito can breed even in small amounts of water.
- Use mosquito nets and screens for your windows and doors.
- When going out, use personal protectors like roll-on, bands and patches.
- Use mosquito repellents, even during the day time.
- Clean the waters in air-conditioners or fridge at regular intervals.
- If you live in a society, ensure that there is regular fumigation done in the surrounding areas.
- Plant mosquito repellent plants like lemon grass in your terrace gardens.
- Some age-old wisdom that can be easily implemented is close all the doors and windows and burn camphor in the house. Camphor too acts as a natural mosquito repellent.
Over to you
Till disease came close, I was oblivious to the mosquito menace. These diseases are not something that one should take lightly as they can easily turn deadly. I chose protection over cure and certainly believe mosquito repellents are a necessity in today’s world. What are your thoughts? Do share in the comments below.
322total visits,1visits today