When I was searching online and collecting all the gospel truths around pregnancy and nursing, during my first pregnancy the one thing I found most tough to handle was nursing bra! You might think I am joking, but nope I am not!
Maternity Bra basics I didn’t know
All the books and guides asked me to buy nursing bras but no one told me when I should be buying them! I remember I brought one pair in my 6th or 7th month and it was too tight by the time I reached my 9th month! I was shopping and re-shopping, just because they won’t fit. Add to it the fact that I could not ask anyone to shop it for me made my life miserable.
After going through this during the 1st pregnancy, I was not going to make the same mistakes again and hence I started researching about nursing bra’s right from my second trimester during my second pregnancy. This is when I found the best solution for buying a nursing bra and that was online shopping! I found a wide variety and range of nursing and feeding bras here.
When to Buy a Nursing Bra
- The right time to buy a nursing bra is in the second trimester. However do remember to shop in small amounts as you will need a few variations and your size won’t be steady till maybe the third month of feeding after delivery.
- It is important to buy and wear maternity bras during the pregnancy as these support the ligaments at the top of your chest, thereby easing pressure off them and ensuring that they don’t stretch.
How to buy a Nursing Bra
- Focus on good quality material and comfortable fit. It is a good idea to go with stretchable material as then it will continue to fit snugly even as your rib cage expands.
- In general, if you are shopping for nursing bra’s when you are pregnant; you can calculate the size by going one cup size up from your pregnancy bras.
While calculating a bra size, measure the fullest part of your breasts to know the right size. I also found a good blog post that shows exactly how to measure for a perfectly fitting nursing bra.
Handy Tips to remember before buying a Nursing Bra
- You need to remember that the breast size varies a bit during the initial months. The variation will also happen when the breasts are full or after a feed. Remember to buy a bra that fits well in the loosest settings.
- Take your measurements around mid-day or when your breasts are full to know a comfortable fit.
- Try your feeding bras sitting down and then get up. Notice if the bra shifts and are the settings comfortable even after standing and doing some movements.
- Remember that 80% of the weight of your breasts should be supported by the under-bust and only 20% should be carried to the straps.
- Loose ill-fitting bras will either fall off the shoulders, or have creases near the cups.
- Remember to buy bras that are also suitable for various styles of dresses that you will wear post-delivery.
- Look for a bra with straps that detach at the back so that you can crisscross them to suit more of your wardrobe. I came across some more helpful tips here.
- Once you start nursing, you will be practically wearing the bra, day and night. Make sure the material is great, and preferably can be machine washed.
Had I found these helpful tips during my first pregnancy, I wouldn’t have been as miserable as I was. However I do hope these helpful tips will help many a mom’s to be when they decide to go shopping!
26 Replies to “Top Tips for Choosing a Nursing Bra”
Thanks for guiding us to know how to select the nursing bra while expecting a baby, will gonna share this post with my sister in law.
Thanks for sharing this to all nursing mom out there. I am sure most mom makes this mistakes including myself I made almost all of them. I bought bras in big sizes earlier so that I keep myself prepared during that time.
An essential article in my view because when I was pregnant I was more illiterate about such topics and my husband had to shop nursing bras for me. Yes! This is going to help the mom to bes. Forwarding it.
Oh i did not know so many things about choosing the right kind of nursing bra. Would be very helpful for nursing mothers.
I remember i had difficulty in choosing one. Wish someone did a post about tips in choosing a nursing bra 5 years ago. I will share with friends and family though.
This is such a helpful post, Neha. I wish I had such well-researched information when I was looking for nursing bras for myself. This post will be very helpful for all the expecting & new mothers.
I’ve gone through the same things as you have learnt the hard way. But that made me prepared for c my second kid.
When I became mom, my sis introduced me to the nursing bra’s and she gave me a complete guide how to go about it. This post made me remind of all those informations that a to-be-mom must know.
I wish I had read this post earlier. I had zero knowledge during my days and had a tough time deciding the proper size and all. This post is quite helpful!
I wish I read these tips beforehand .It will help many moms.
These tips are truly worth sharing as they are coming from your personal experience. I have never used nursing bras in both my pregnancies. But the points you have shared are very practical yet not known to many going to be moms.
During my EBF days, I have faced hell lot of problems for this. All new mums should use nursing bra properly. Thanks for sharing it.
Even I was also not aware of this nursing bra earlier. Thanks for this detailed and informative post.
Helpful post. Wish I had known about nursing bras earlier!
This is lot of helpful information for mothers to be. A lot of queries get answered through your post.
On my first pregnancy I do not know about nursing bra but in second pregnancy from starting I used nursing bra. They are boon , comfortable.
The nursing bra is definitely helpful for feeding mothers. I remember when I used to wear it with every outfit whether Indian or western, feeding was a blessing.
A nursing bra is really important. I used one when I was feeding my bubs. Good tips 🙂
Nursing bra is a must have for moms who was to breastfeed their child
Thanks for sharing such great information.
This post is really helpful. My friend will help these tips for choosing for her nursing bra. Will share this to her.
very helpful post for all new moms. A nursing bra that supports yur body too is very important.
Hi Neha, Thanks for guiding us to know how to select the nursing bra while expecting a baby. This post will be beneficial for all the expecting & new mothers. I was looking for nursing bras for myself. Thank you again for helping me by through the information.
Nursing Bra is a saviour for all breastfeeding moms and I remember how convenient it was with a nursing bra to breastfeed anywhere without a hassle.
I wish I knew these earlier. Never found a good nursing bra. The idea of detachable straps is good.
Nursing bras are hassle free…I too wore them when I BF my daughter..Informative post…Thanks for sharing
Definitely a very important yet less talked about topic related to new moms. Sharing this post for the benefit of new moms!